Drug & Alcohol Testing
Drug Testing is a key component of many companies’ risk management program. SafeWorks Illinois assists companies in implementing their drug screening programs.
We offer a variety of tests, including:
- Rapid Drug Screen (5 and 10 panel)
- Breath Alcohol Testing
- Hair Testing
- Saliva Testing
- Chain of Custody (Federal and Non-Federal)
- Collection Only
We provide federal DOT and non-DOT testing. Many businesses rely on urine testing since it is cost effective and offers the ability to screen quickly for a wide variety of drugs. Urine drug testing detects recent drug use and is suitable for all testing reasons: pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident.
Rapid Drug Screen – 5 & 10 Panel
We offer both a 5-panel and 10-panel rapid drug screen. The rapid drug screen is the most utilized drug test by employers. It can be used for pre-employment, random and post-accident testing.
Breath Alcohol Testing
SafeWorks Illinois staff members are experienced and certified in evidential breath alcohol testing. We offer employers screening and confirmation testing of employees in both DOT regulated (DOT 49CFR Part 40) and non-regulated industries in support of pre-placement, employment, post-accident, random, return-to work and fitness-for-duty evaluations.
Hair testing for drugs is the most effective way to evaluate long-term use patterns. Many employers utilize this type of drug screen for new hire screenings.
Random Consortium Programs
SafeWorks Illinois can manage your company’s random/consortium program and take the liability off you and your staff. This program is confidential and will provide you the necessary information for auditing purposes. We offer employers assistance in managing all or part of their drug and alcohol testing program’s compliance for both DOT and Non-DOT. We will ensure that your program is compliant with all state and federal regulations.
Chain of Custody
A chain of custody drug screen is utilized for both Federal and Non-Federal testing. We can provide chain of custody documentation for any of our drug and alcohol testing protocols.
When You Should Drug Test
The following are the reasons for testing:
- Reasonable Cause
Job applicant testing is conducted to prevent the hiring of high-risk individuals who use illegal drugs or drugs without a valid prescription.
- Applicants typically are required to submit to a drug test after receiving a conditional offer of employment.
- The company may use a refusal to submit to a drug test or a verified “positive” test result as a basis for not hiring.
- Passing a drug test can be a condition of employment.
Reasonable suspicion testing is based on a suspicion that an employee is using drugs and/or alcohol in violation of the company’s policy drawn from specific and objective facts. Among other things, such facts and inferences may be based upon:
- An employee showing signs of impairment, such as difficulty in maintaining balance, slurred speech or otherwise appearing unable to perform assigned work in a safe and satisfactory manner.
- Abnormal conduct or erratic behavior while at work or a significant deterioration of work performance.
- A report of alcohol or other drug use provided by a reliable and credible source.
- Arrest or conviction for a drug and/or alcohol related offense or the identification of an employee as the focus of a criminal investigation into unauthorized drug possession, use or trafficking.
Post-accident drug and alcohol testing is conducted when an employee is involved in an on-the-job accident that may have involved human error, or otherwise engages in unsafe job-related activity that poses a danger to himself/herself or fellow employees. Post-accident testing should be initiated in the following circumstances:
There was an accident that resulted in:
- A fatality or
- An injury to an employee requiring off-site medical attention or
- Property damage estimated to exceed $500 ($1000 or $2000 are other options) or
- A citation was issued
There was a violation of a safety rule or standard that exposes the employee, other employees, or the public to:
- Possible death or
- Serious bodily injury or
- Significant property damage
SafeWorks Illinois offers a comprehensive drug and alcohol substance abuse management program. Our skilled team can provide all of your company’s drug and alcohol testing needs by developing a custom program to fit the needs of your company. In addition, we will coordinate and manage the collection, random selection, provide Medical Review Officer (MRO) services, and can assist you with all required reports to ensure compliance.
Please contact us if you would like additional information on our drug testing services or if you would like us to create a plan customized for your company.
Any severe, life-threatening injury or illness should immediately report to the nearest hospital emergency room.
Have a question?